West Virginia's Promise - The Alliance for Youth
West Virginia’s Promise-The Alliance for Youth is a statewide program that mobilizes partners across the state to strengthen the capacity of local communities to develop and support young people.
America’s Promise Alliance began in 1997 under the direction of its founding chairman, General Colin Powell. The organization was formed to meet a presidential challenge to make our children a national priority, built around the framework of providing the Five Promises to America’s young people. West Virginia's Promise accepts the challenge by leveraging an AmeriCorps Promise VISTA Project that places AmeriCorps members throughout the state to assist in strengthening the Five Promises:
- Caring Adults such as parents, teacher, mentors, neighbors and coaches
- Safe Places that offer constructive activities when young people are not in school
- A Healthy Start with healthy bodies, healthy minds and healthful habits
- An Effective Education that prepares young people for successful work and lifelong learning
- Opportunities to Help Others through service
Children who receive at least four of the Five Promises are more likely to succeed academically, socially and civically. They are more likely to avoid violence, contribute to their communities and achieve high grades in school
Promise Partners are essential partners in these efforts and provide a mechanism to fulfill our commitment to children and youth.
In these extraordinary times, our nation is facing extraordinary challenges. But working with America's Promise, you can support communities, strengthen our nation; and most important, ensure a better future for our nation's youth. In short, your help today can ensure a brighter tomorrow